Web 2.0 and User Agency

In class Luke asked this question: Do these technologies create greater user agency and cultural citizenship?

I believe the answer is yes, they do. I may be biased because I am a film student and so I appreciate the ability to manipulate and contribute to art without having to be a professional. User generated content is a means of expression, and an important one in the 21st century. Copyright laws and issues with intellectual property need to get up to speed and realize that technoculture is an all-inclusive culture which brings people together and gives an artistic and intellectual voice to those who may not normally have one. You tube and blogs are truly unique communities where ideas are shared in a fairly anonymously format across great distances, and I think it is a mistake to downplay the importance of Web 2.0.

0 comments: