Watching television online

We have discussed the outright downloading of music and videos via p2p technologies, but what about watching television shows or films online, without downloading transferable files? What I keep coming back to is the fact that they're available on so many different sites and in so many different forms, just waiting for people to watch. I primarily use the site Sidereel to access programs for free. There are others like TVLinks and AllUC that provide the same service, links to free episodes of television and movies. While the latter two are rather simple in their design and seem to be trying to stay under the radar, Sidereel is quite "out there" in its image.

The design of it encourages users to link to Facebook, Twitter, and other SNSs, therefore advertising the site, and also its access to free, copyrighted material. I bring this up because in this context, I really feel no remorse for using Sidereel to watch shows that I would otherwise have to pay large amounts of money to view. If a site is making absolutely no efforts to fly under the radar, and still is not shut down, then why should I feel bad about "robbing" Comcast Cable of an extra $100/month to get premium channels? In my opinion it is the cable company doing the robbing.

0 comments: