Analogue Media

At work I have the task of fixing the photographic machine, which most of the time involves simply changing the paper and ribbon to make it work again. This got me thinking back to my first 203 tutorial and the discussion of whether or not ‘analogue media’ would disappear. I can agree that with the rise in digital culture that there was certainly a decrease in the consumption of analogue media such as buying records. However this does not make me conclude that analogue media has disappeared.

As a nostalgic ideal I do not believe that analogue media has been forgotten or indeed will be forgotten. For example chemical photography is still being taught at most schools along side digital photography. This brings me back to fixing the photographic machine, as even though the machine is a digitalized process it still requires a mere human to fix it.

Looking toward to the future, I do not believe that analogue media such as chemical photography will be forgotten as the basics of the photographic process are used to develop new photographic machines. Many people prefer the tangible photograph to a computer file, however it is debateable as to whether tangible photographs may also be on their way out.

0 comments: