Social Networking Sites

One of the thing that I found interesting when I had a look at the Web Trend Map http://xkcd.com/256/ was the cultural difference affect the use of SNS's. Many people seem to have their own SNS but the ones they use are the ones what their friends, families, co-workers etc use so they can communicate, share profiles more easily. In this map of online communities the SNS's are situated on the left side. Of course one of the most favoured MySpace takes up the most area which is clearly proven to be the popular among the rest. Myself as a Cyworld user I was quite shocked that Cyworld was even on the map next to MySpace. I only thought that this SNS was only popular in Korea and didn't even thought of anyone besides Koreans to know it. Seen by this map the area that takes up by the Cyworld is as much as FaceBook.

Cyworld literally means "realationship." Cyworld, much like a virtual space in the internet, which users can decorate their "home" and invite friends. As I said I'm one of the member of this SNS and reports show that as much as 90 percent of South Koreans in their 20s and 25 percent of the total population of South Korea are registered users of Cyworld.

After seeing this map I found out that today, cyworld has extended its operation to the United States, China, Japan, Taiwan, and Vietnam. This is quite surprising...

0 comments: