SNS Heirachies

The very first SNS I used was 'Hi5' back in 2005. Then it was 'Bebo' (2006), 'Myspace' (2007), and finally, 'Facebook' which I joined mid last year. It wasn't untill the beginning of this year that I stayed faithful to one site - for some time I was using all three simultaneously. In saying that though, there has always been one SNS site which I used and updated considerably more over the others. I have never used two or more SNS sites to the same frequecy or capacity at the same time.

I stopped using Bebo at the beginning of the year and am now purely Facebook orientated. I definately think there is a stigma of heirachy attached to SNS sites especially in regards to age and 'class' if you will.

Hi5 and Bebo are seemingly aimed at the youth market with their ease of use and fun, bright background themes. MySpace is especially good for the musically inclined yet it is still quite 'young' or 'immature' looking with its personalization capabilities. Because of the sterile and generic look of Facebook, it automatically gives a more sophisticated vibe that assumingly attracts 'mature' young adults hence 'teenyboppers' would find less appealing.


Aestheitcs to me is the most impacting factor. The internet is a very visual medium therefore the first thing that is generally picked up on is what can be immediately seen. I normally categorize or 'class' a SNS site just from veiwing its homepage.

When consumers find a better thing for them then they will move on to that better thing and that alone is a clear display of ranking which SNS does not escape.

1 comments:

    Very interesting insights...