identity

It was mentioned in the lecture (17.08.09) that even through identity we want to be original yet belong to a certain group. With this point I researched within my friends on facebook and these types of identities were able to be seen through the things that they are 'fans' of and through their personal information that was listed. I was able to see that many of my friends could be characterised by the music they were fans of. They showed their way of being different to the mainstream but yet belonged to a group where many other people were also fans.

What I found interesting in Helen Kennedy's reading is the fact we are able decipher one's identity through the comments that are left. Even through my profile and my friends', I'm able to see a little bit of their personalities within it. One friend showed their interest in folk and alternative music through some of the comments they left on others' profiles and through the listing of their personal likes.

Through identity, it lead me to think that many of us portray ourselves with a variety of different personalities to show that we are different but yet, belonging to some certain group. Through these representations, we are able to alter or show ourselves in a certain identity.

0 comments: