Cyborgs

Cyborg would be the term that does not apply to me however in certain ways it is starting to change the way I think. Engaging and relying on technology to contact friends and being updated is the everyday use for many people including myself. Taking the SNS's (Social Networking Site) I could live without it however when thinking about mobile phones it is quite difficult to live without. So would this make me a cyborg if I just can't see myself without this technology. I say there is no difinate line of being a cyborg, it's actually ones' choice to be so. Today there are so many scientists and engineers who tries to alter/enhance human bodies by technology and now the meaning psycho-civilized society Dennis mentioned is becomming clear. Personally I think there is both the positive and the negative effect of these works and find it very important topic to talk about since it is a thing that would give access to our internal through technology which would directly affect us.


A professor Sankai from Japan's Tsuknba University introduced this technology called 'Cyberdyne' , a robot suits for paralysed people, helping them to walk again by detecting their next move and lifting their muscles. The robot suits detect natural electrical currents that pass over the surface of the skin anticipating muscle movement.
He says that "I believe technology becomes useful only when it works for people,"
I feel that human bodies can cope without technology and many might even say that our body is natural and shouldn't bemanipulated by technologies. However the use of this kind of technology can change the way people like Stelarc and other 'avant-garde' cyborgs mentioned in the lecture. This might also become more advanced and take on a variety use such as at construction sites where workers have to carry heavy materials.
Now I come to think what other technologies are to be introduced to the world.

0 comments: