Cyborg Theory what is it good for?

Cyborg theory... for real?

Seeing that video on Stelarc was simply unbelievable. Hearing that he had a third ear implanted was shocking. But seeing that almost half the class were not sure whether they were cyborgs or not was depressing.

One thing that has always fascinated me about sociological studies at university is the persistent question: What does it mean to be human? Even more fascinating is that this question has been left unanswered. University resources instead cry that everything is subjective and open to interpretation, even such a sacred thing as gender. Humans are supposed to be at the top rung of the ladder, and we don't even know who we are? You don't hear of dogs getting together to discuss dogginess.

I suppose, then, it should be no surprise that the views of Stelarc and Orlan have gained such currency. Max More spoke of the future belonging to "posthumanity", where exactly does he think a human (such as himself) will fit in a world of 'post-humans'? He cries against God, against faith, against even morality but doesn't reveal what he is affirming in their place.

Those who challenge 'humanness' with Cyborg Theory, have clearly lost their point of reference. Newsweek journalist, George Will said "there is nothing so vulgar left in human experience for which some professor form somewhere cannot be found to justify it". I would be cautious about accepting the justifications of a man with a third ear growing out of his arm.

5 comments:

    Interesting post - good to hear your reactions. I don't know if this came across in the lecture but my own personal view is that I'm comfortable with the idea that I am (in part) a product of my (and society's) relationships with technology. In that sense, I'm ok with the label 'cyborg'. But I don't believe that the logical conclusion of this is that we are therefore 'posthuman'. I enjoy many of the provocations of the likes of Stelarc et al even if I don't share their outlook. But, like you, I find extropian 'dream' more akin to a nightmare... and a proto-fascist one at that. Here's to being human - warts, ipods and all!

     

    You should consider a disclaimer before each lecture:
    "The views expressed in this lecture are not necessarily those of the lecturer"
    haha.

    But I think it's important to remember that these are not just academic ideas or theories. These are world views. Growing a third ear would be logically consistent with such a world view. Believing such views to be true would have dangerous effect on life.

     

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     

    I think your view on cyborg theory is a bit harsh. Whilst I don't fully support the cyborg theory, people like Stelarc I don't think are necessarily trying to be post-human or pushing for people to become post-human, I feel he is simply a performance artist pushing boundaries. If you think back over time there have been several extremists criticised for their outrageous actions at the time, but in hindsight have been responsible for making great changes in society. Think Nelson Mandela or Marin Luther King. Ok, so it's a bit of a stretch, but check this out.
    If Stelarc's work is in someway helping people to consider these types of technology, is it really that bad?

     

    Sorry, the link above got messed up. Here is the proper link.