More on Facebook and its uses....

So i thought i would kick start my blogging with a topic I am comfortable about, as is generally everyone else- facebook. Blogs such as 'Facebook is a fad' made me think about why it is used by our society, especially by those within the 18-30 age group.

I am in agreeance with many points made by CJAV, yet as a facebook user myself , can see its benefits. When it comes down to it, it depends on whether you are using facebook as a means of self promotion, or simply as another form of communication. Apart from the difficulty in starting up an account, facebook does make communication among friends a lot easier. Events can be planned and sent out to everyone, photographs no longer have to be circulated around friends but simply uploaded to facebook, and it has a great appeal for international communication. It is quick and easy to stay in contact and see what other are up to by simply writing on their wall, and the photos also show what they have been doing, and in turn to show them what you have been up to.

It has been interesting noticing the change from when I first started using it then (2007) to now. As it has largely been adopted over MySpace and Bebo, the use of Facebook has changed. the ability for it to be a tool of self promotion has been made easier through groups, status updates, fan pages, quizzes etc. When i say self promotion, it cannot always be in a negative way- I also mean facebook can be used to let other know what your interests are etc, yet I do think person to person conversation is and always will be the best way for this.

Yes there are the people who use facebook to publicise the private aspects of their life, sexualise themselves or give off a particular image, yet this will always happen in all the SNS's, and once it is determined I am a facebook user, I annoyingly always feel the need to have to distance my self from this group people. On the other hand, while I admire the three friends of mine who refuse to succumb to facebook, it is harder to keep in contact with them, but not as difficult as many facebook addicts would believe!

So in my opinion, facebook can only be determined by how you use it. but a point that must be made again is don't allow facebook to have the rights to your photographs! Change your settings!

Hover your mouse over “Settings” and choose “Privacy Settings,” then “News Feed and Wall.” Then click “Facebook Ads” tab, which will take you to a setting for “Appearance in Facebook Ads” where you can select “No one.”

0 comments: